Steam Assisted Gravity Drainage (SAGD) and Cyclic Steam Stimulation (CSS)
SAGD/CSS is an unconventional resource development that is widely used to extract bitumen from underground oil sands deposits. These methods involve injecting steam into sub-surface oil sands deposits to heat the bitumen locked in the sand, thereby lowering the viscosity allowing it to flow and to be extracted. In Alberta alone, 80% (or 135 billion barrels) of the oil sands are located in these underground deposits.
SAGD operations have become more common as technology continues to advance. Starting in the early 2000’s, 5 SAGD projects were underway in Alberta, as of 2017 there is a total of 64 ongoing SAGD operations and 9 CSS projects. In 2016, the total in-situ production of bitumen was 1.4 million barrels day.
In-situ oil sands production is expected to reach 3 million barrels per day by 2040, according to the National Energy Board (NEB).
Chinook Consulting and its consultants have been involved in the drilling and geological reporting from the very beginning of SAGD development and we are committed to providing our clients the highest level of service available.
It’s important to know what we can offer.
Wellsite Geological Services
- Over 40 active consultants experienced in SAGD drilling operations
- Knowledgeable personnel equipped with the ability to interpret the information compiled, adding relevance and context to time sensitive operations
- Extensive experience in the McMurray-Clearwater-Grand Rapids-General Petroleum-Wabasca-Colony-Lloydminster-Sparky-Cummings-Waseca plays
Sample & Cuttings Preparation
- Samples prepared and visualized in a different perspective. i.e. grain size analysis, bitumen saturation, petrographic analysis and reservoir characterization
- Information from samples collected in the field can assist in clarifying the hard to answer reservoir quality questions
- Personnel familiar and current with latest LWD drilling technology which improve the accuracy and efficiency of data interpretation with professionals who have the experience, eg ADR™, VDR™, GWAR™, VisiTrak™
- Ability to review and conceptualize geological data plus drilling performance to make informed decisions on steering targets
- Fully integrated and 24hr operational center for geosteering and remote monitoring operations
- Let us manage reservoir navigation and data steam with StarSteer’s SOLO™ Platform. This cloud based service allows for quick access where all stakeholders can collaborate together in achieving geosteering/drilling and completion goals.